libreboot-dev

Re: [Libreboot-dev] c3 and c4 states for macbooks

From: Albin
Subject: Re: [Libreboot-dev] c3 and c4 states for macbooks
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 19:59:29 +0200

Hi

Den Tue, 17 May 2016 18:06:38 +0200
skrev Re: [Libreboot-dev] c3 and c4 states for macbooks:

> Hi
>
> This is not tested. But since it is supposed to be cpu thing and not a
> mb thing I believe this to be no problem.
>
> How bricked was it? brick like no grub or hangs in or while booting
> GNU/linux?

I'm pretty sure it was the former.  I remember recording the failed boot
using GNU screen but I can't find the log file at the moment.

> If it hangs in gnu/linux then it possible to disable cstates all
> together while booting by adding "processor.max_cstate=0" in kernel
> arguments and flash back your working image.
> It would then also be interesting to know which c-state causes
> problems. try to disable just c4 by adding "processor.max_cstate=3"
> in the kernel argument.

Unfortunately I cannot test this.  However, I've attatched a diff of
the changes that Leah made for the experimental ROM that I
mentioned.  (You can also find it in the git archive:
docs/resources/misc/donotusethis_macbook_acpi.diff)

After I could confirm that it didn't work, phcoder found c states 1 and
2.  If they are different from the values in the attached diff (I
haven't checked myself), then I guess it's not as simple as a "cpu
thing".

I'd be happy to test a new ROM on the macbook, but I don't feel
like trying the exact same thing that bricked my computer the last time,
not unless someone could help me with a fallback image that loads a
ROM that is confirmed to be working if the test ROM should fail.

Best regards

Albin