libreplanet-ca-on

[lp-ca-on] Notes from the meeting on 29 June 2015

From: Bob Jonkman
Subject: [lp-ca-on] Notes from the meeting on 29 June 2015
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2015 03:02:07 -0400

Hi all: Before it's erased entirely from my mind, here are a few notes
from last week's meeting. Please add everything I've missed, and
change everthing I got wrong!

= LibrePlanet Ontario meeting =
== Held at the HeroBurger restaurant on Mt. Pleasant Rd. on Monday, 29
June 2015 ==

 * We lamented the state of Free Software gaming, and the prevalence
of proprietary gaming engines like Steam.

 * We lamented the state of Free Software administration, and how it
seems that SysAdmins today don't know how to use Free Software tools.

 * Outreach:
  * Sergio and Bob attended the Ubuntu/Debian Release Party in April
  * Rudolf attended a computer language interest group [I forgot details]
  * Bob attended a MapTime meetup in May, and a couple of GTALUG meetings

 * Some of us (Bob, Sergio) exchanged GnuPG fingerprint strips, with
the intention of digitally signing each others' keys. This could
become a regular occurrence at LibrePlanet meetings.

 * We discussed Software Freedom Day:
  * Software Freedom Day is Saturday, 19 September 2015
  * A venue is needed. Suggested locations:
   * Alleyne Inc. offices (Blaise will check)
   * Mozilla offices (Sergio will attend a MapTime or Mappy Hour[1]
and investigate availability)
   * FreeGeek Toronto (someone needs to contact them)
  * Suggested format? After some discussion, it was decided to keep it
simple for the first year.  One stream of programming, with a second
stream of Free Culture films; Laurel Russwurm can repeat the Free
Culture Film Festival held in Kitchener in 2014.
  * Suggested schedule:
   * 10:30am - Presentation: What Is Free Software (Sergio)
   * 11:30am - Five Lightning Talks (organized by Rudolf)
   * 12:00am - Presentation (TBD)
   *  1:00pm - Presentation (TBD)
   *  2:00pm - Workshop (TBD)
  * Need to reach out to other Free Software organizations in Toronto;
issue a Call For Presentations, Lightning Talks
   * GTALUG http://gtalug.org (Myles Braithewaite, Scott Sullivan)
   * FreeGeek Toronto http://freegeektoronto.org/
   * OpenData Toronto http://www.meetup.com/Opentoronto/ (Richard Pietro)
   * OpenStreetMap Enthusiasts
http://www.meetup.com/OpenStreetMap-Toronto/ (Richard Weait)
   * TorontoCrypto https://torontocrypto.org/ (James Donaldson @darknetj)
   * HacklabTO https://hacklab.to/ (Scott Sullivan?)

=====

That's it for the meeting.  Since then, I thought perhaps we could use
the Workshop slot for an installfest; not just operating systems but
Free Software applications for proprietary platforms, eg. LibreOffice,
Firefox, Thunderbird, SumatraPDF, &c.

I'm definitely volunteering to participate, either with a
presentation, workshop or lightning talk (depends on the feedback we
get from the other groups)

Finally, I took the Librety (!) to set up a Software Freedom Day
LibrePlanet Team page:

 http://wiki.softwarefreedomday.org/2015/Canada/Toronto/LibrePlanet

Please feel free to apply the usual Wiki rules: Add, Modify, Delete at
will.

I'd like to create accounts for SFDTO on all the usual (free and
non-free) social media outlets, perhaps
http://social.libreplanetbr.org/sfdto and @SFDTO on Twitter (we can
use http://sn.jonkman.ca/sfdto and its Twitterbridge to avoid
duplicating messages); maybe Facebook and LinkedIn.  Yes, these are
proprietary services we should not be using, but the purpose of SFD is
to find people who don't already know about Free Software, so we have
to go where those people are...

In Kitchener Colin Mills is organizing a Linux Conference.  He
originally suggested it for 19 September, and I suggested the SFDKW
team piggybacks on it, but recommended that it be rescheduled later to
avoid conflicts with a whole bunch of other KW events on the 19th. I
think he may hold the Linux Conference in October, hopefully with an
entire Software Freedom Day stream!
http://kwlug.org/pipermail/kwlug-disc_kwlug.org/2015-July/028263.html

- --Bob.

- --