Re: [libreplanet-discuss] free email

From: Ziv Leyes
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] free email
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 10:58:47 +0300

Just about a couple of days I started my quest for the same goals, I want to try to get out of google's services, and I've found quite a lot of good options for gmail and calendar alternatives.
For using your own domain you can go with  http://www.zoho.com/mail/  that will host for you the domain for email and some other stuff.
If you are concerned about security, then hushmail is what you need, you could also try and see if it's possible to host your domain there.
Or use a combination of both using forwarding.
There are a few more I've found that are cool too, lavabit, as someone mentioned is also good but too basic for the free version (mailbox size too small)
Others also offer unlimited storage, so you can decide what is the most important feature you're looking for
Here's a few others to try: gmx, alternative fuse, mail.com (with zillions of different domains to chose from), fastmail.
There are a lot more, such as hotmail and yahoo, but they're not different from gmail, also big companies behind them, which I don't like. You may find a lot more, search for gmail alternatives and give them all a spin, that's what I did, now I have 5 more email inboxes, I will play with them for a while and then decide which one I will pick, I think I tend to prefer the hushmail one, it's the most security and privacy oriented one...

I'm still looking for a way to give up social networks such as facebook and google plus, but still being able to keep myself updated, I've heard about identi.ca and reddit, I'd like to hear some more alternatives.
For example, what could replace my igoogle page, which I find very useful, mostly for concentrating my preferred RSS and some other customized stuff.
Please share with us your suggestions
Thanks
TuxSax

Let's all help save our e-mail inboxes! Adopt the E-Mail Charter!

I'm an FSF member - Help us support software freedom! Join us!