Re: [libreplanet-discuss] free email

From: Advrk Aplmrkt
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] free email
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2012 12:36:20 -0400

Hello,

I use the recently updated ownCloud to host my own WebDAV file,
CardDAV contacts, and CalDAV calendar server. You get a web interface
to them, and you can access them via desktop client (e.g.
Thunderbird/IceDove with the SOGo Connector addon) or mobile client
with the corresponding protocols. Here is a link to the site:

http://www.owncloud.org/

I believe it is released under the AGPL, but please correct me if I am wrong.

Right now, I am still looking for a similar solution for hosting my
own bookmarks, with web access and ability to sync with Firefox.

As for email, I have tried Citadel, which should also be Free Software:

http://www.citadel.org/

Citadel also offers some contacts/calendar functions, but I've foung
ownCloud to be much better at them. However, Citadel sets up a
complete email server for you with spam and virus protection, and it
has an easy to use installer. Another possibility for easily hosting
your own email is iRedMail:

http://www.iredmail.org/

It has a wizard that takes you through the steps of setting up your
own email server. I believe iRedMail is GPL'ed, but can anyone comment
on the security of using it?

Hope this helps. I am still in the process (has been for over a year!)
of trying to replace all "cloud" (I know the term is ambigious)
services with libre solutions. As you can see, so far I've found ways
to host my own contacts, calendars, and emails. But, for example, I
still haven't found a way to create my own hosted equivalent of Google
Docs.