Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free as in Freedom Network Services [was: Tack

From: Patrick Anderson
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free as in Freedom Network Services [was: Tackling Network Effect]
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 09:43:42 -0600

Niels G. W. Serup wrote:
> The best thing would be to promote things like the FreedomBox.

The FreedomBox has many fundamental problems.

ISPs block ports and disallow you from running servers.

You are allowed to use those ports and run servers
only if you pay much more and understand how.

Grandma (non-gurus) do not know how to deal with all
the complexities of running servers and opening ports
and backing-up their data.

The cloud is coming, and we had better have a realistic
alternative for the billions of people that will be drawn to
those very efficient and convenient services.

Cloud computing (in other words, server-side, shared
computing and storage) has many benefits, including
data redundancy, deduplication, higher utilization, the
ability to access your data from any other computer,
and some others I don't remember right now.

Even if those were not problems, we still have the ISPs
blocking us and spying on us in all various ways.

Who should own the ISPs, if not the people that already
pay for them?