Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Gitlab and Gitorious (was Re: support me)

From: Mark Holmquist
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Gitlab and Gitorious (was Re: support me)
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 20:30:08 -0600

On Sat, Mar 07, 2015 at 08:18:13AM -0800, Aaron Wolf wrote:
> I disagree, Mark. The restrictions made by Copyleft are blocking
> additional restrictions. So, determining the "minimal restrictions for
> *everyone*" involves knowing something about the net effect.

While I agree that, on the whole, copyleft is a positive force in the
world, it is impossible to have proper context for the debate if you
blindly convince yourself that the restrictions *don't exist*. It's one
thing to say that copyleft is a necessary restriction for protecting the
users, it's another thing entirely to live in denial that the restriction
is there, and is a heavy motivator for people to avoid copyleft.

I have personally written at great length about my support of copyleft,
and my view that there are *downsides* to it, even though they are far
outweighed by the net good that it does.

My point was merely to bring some awareness to the table, because while
I'm certainly happy that we seem to agree that copyleft is a good thing,
we cannot ever lose sight of *what it is*, and part of what it is is a
restriction on certain activities.

--
Mark Holmquist
Software Engineer, Multimedia