Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Truly decentralized/federated software develop

From: Logan Streondj
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Truly decentralized/federated software development platforms?
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 14:58:20 -0400

On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 03:35:39PM -0500, Will Hill wrote:
> This is general problem, not a software problem, best solved by social
> policy.
> All of us have something we like to do that we wish we could earn a living
> from.  Perversely enough, rich and powerful people use the "feed your family"

didn't realize that little phrase was so politically charged.
let me attempt to rephrase:
"we should be able to pay libreware developers for their work".

Big companies hire people to work on libreware,
small companies might go through the hassle of freelancers,
and the average person that wants to pay for something  to get done,
is told to "code it yourself".

The current situation clearly demonstrates there is lots of money
available in the hands of many people to pay for development.
However we lack the Software Infrastructure, to pay our developers
for their work, or even to accept donations for particular issues.

If we had the Software Infrastructure to pay our developers,
then instead of big companies hiring their own maintainers,
they could simply donate to the issues they want fixed.

Then the team of developers currently working on it could get paid.
It is most certainly a software problem.

It has nothing to do with governments/social-assistance or
basic-income or w/e. This is LibrePlanet, Not LibreAmerica!
Libreware developers are all over the world,
we can't ask people in Liberia to move to Sweden in order to get good
enough benefits that they would be able to work on the project. If we
have the infrastructure to pay a Liberian even $100/month they will be
better off than most other full time jobs they have available.

Crypto-currency projects regularly get millions of dollars in
donations, for-example MaidSafe and Etherium, though they don't even
have a working product. Wheras working products used by many people
such as GPG/SSL and the unsung many get next to nothing.

Ethiopia has internet, universities, and programs for Artificial
Intelligence, yet their GDP per capita is ~$1,400 or $117 a month.
With a million dollars we could hire 700 Ethiopian developers,
or over a thousand Liberian developers, full time, for a year.
Though personally I prefer the issue wallet,
mechanical turk, or freelance style.

When companies want a feature added or fixed in a Libreware project,
their first thought should not be "lets hire a developer to do it",
their first thought should be "lets pay the project to do it",
just as they would for any proprietary product,
this can only happen with the proper software infrastructure.

even if issues only get pennies for completion, that will be more than
now.

Anyways, it seems gitchain as rysiek mentioned might be on the
correct track, I've joined their mailing list and they seem to have
several similar ideas already, so I'll see if perhaps we can work
something out there.

from Logan ya