Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Decentralized blog comment system

From: hellekin
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Decentralized blog comment system
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 15:48:23 -0300

On 03/29/2015 02:55 PM, rysiek wrote:

> One thing though: I would be careful not to create a new incompatible
> discussion system. We already have several different libre social
> networks that do not talk to each other -- and this *really* makes no
> sense!
>
> Diaspora, Friendica, GNU Social talk to each other already (and have
> quite a few users nowadays), so I would say it makes sense to consider
> working on a comment system that is compatible with them.

*** Indeed, that's a fundamental consideration.

I saw that Discourse now works as a commenting system that polls from an
ATOM/RSS feed and integrates with static HTML pages.  That way you can
poll the comments feed at compile time, and update via Javascript,
allowing to attach a forum to any web page. [0]

This is probably the way to go as it degrades gracefully and generally
provides a no-fuss way to ramp up the complexity if that's really what
you like.

Making it generic would allow any application to adapt it to their
needs.  I think the Salmon protocol was made for such a use-case. [1]

IMO the system should also be thought to work on the client-side as
well, e.g. a browser addon.  Anything application-specific should be at
best optional.

I guess the API could be as simple as creating a 1:1 match between an
URI (the page) and the social conversation flow (the "thread", be it on
D*, Friendica or RED Matrix, Mediagoblin, GNU social, or the Pump,
Microformats, etc.), and stick to the basics of ATOM-compatible "post"
or "comment" ontology.

BTW, I never understood the necessity to make various object types for
"post", "blog", "comment", etc.  This complicates the *message passing*
without real benefit besides application-specific and medium-specific
details.

==
hk

[0]: http://eviltrout.com/2014/01/22/embedding-discourse.html