Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Question about free (as in freedom) data from

From: Pen-Yuan Hsing
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Question about free (as in freedom) data from free software
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 13:05:38 +0000

Hello,

Thanks everyone for their encouragement and thoughts on free data issues. Just two quick responses:

(1) Alexander: I also have a problem with how many people treat published papers as "currency" with which all academic performance is judged, and I am also highly skeptical of signing all of my work away for them to be locked behind a paywall. I think it is unscientific.

That said, this situation is similar to what happens sometimes with free software. I might not be in a position where I can easily ignore the system. There is a power relationship between me and my employers/supervisors, and they are the ones who hold certain powers over me. If they say I have to use proprietary software for a certain task, or publish my work in a locked up journal, I (and many others) would be compelled to do so for fear of retribution. I don't like this situaion, but also don't have a good solution yet... Love to hear people's thoughts.

(2) I also want to re-iterate my wish to find an equivalent to this mailing list, where people can discuss issues related to free data, free culture, Open Access, etc. in general. They are at least partly related to free software, so if any sees this plea and knows of such a list/forum, please let us all know! Thanks.