Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Properly attributing free fonts?

From: Thomas HARDING
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Properly attributing free fonts?
Date: Wed, 04 Nov 2015 22:03:20 +0100

On 04/11/2015 20:25, Pen-Yuan Hsing wrote:
Wow the font situation sounds like a big mess!! Thanks for explaining
a complicated situation as clearly as you can.

What do you think about using fonts in free software and free culture
works under the CC-BY-SA 4.0? Should I go for fonts under certain
licenses like GPLv3? And once I use those fonts, is it required by
some licenses to provide attribution in my works?

What can be done to clean up the mess?

My answer was on "Open Font Licence" usage I done.

Typesetting is an art, where a minor change in font can
make your production a complete mess.

* ensuring derivatives identification is needed
* ensuring to identify glyphs shape change as a major version is needed.
* allow new "plans", merged and identified, is needed (often there is only ASCII set) * minor corrections such as spins and kerning should be allowed as "minor version" * regarding Free Software, copyright and license terms are far more important than credits, nevertheless, something consistent would make
credits display easier to handle (Font name, who ©when, licence acronym)

Most often, fonts are not bundled with software.

Obviously, when a build is done for proprietary systems, package will likely include fonts.

That's the main point we miss and is complained here.

Best Regards,
TSFH.

--
Je suis née pour partager : non la haine, mais l'amour.
                                            Sophocle,