[libreplanet-discuss] Properly attributing free fonts?

From: Pen-Yuan Hsing
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Properly attributing free fonts?
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2015 14:30:28 +0000

Hello again,

As I understand it, fonts also fall under the realm of what free software cares about. (please correct me if I'm wrong!)

Regarding that, I notice that in almost all cases, software (or any other material like documents or posters) don't provide attribution for the fonts they used. Is this normal? Or is this a matter of which license the font uses? Is there a "proper" way to provide font attribution, whether in a web page, document, or software?

Also, since there are proprietary fonts, is it a problem if someone uses those fonts in free software? Suppose I write a program and release it under e.g. GPLv3, would that imply I can't use proprietary fonts in it? A more generalised question might be: Can proprietary fonts be used in free cultural works released under e.g. CC-By-SA? I suspect the answer is no, but is there a way to figure out license compatibility between fonts and everything else they're used in?

Sorry about the stream of emails! I'm just trying to do what I can to promote free software and free culture in my organisation. Thanks for your help!