Re: [libreplanet-discuss] GNU ethical repository criteria: Should privac

From: Neils Nesse
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] GNU ethical repository criteria: Should privacy issues really be extra credit?
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 16:50:21 -0800

On 19/11/15 02:19, Niels Nesse wrote:
I recently came upon the GNU ethical repository criteria:
https://www.gnu.org/software/repo-criteria.html

I am very pleased to see the FSF take up this issue. There has been
far to much apathy on the part of developers regarding the ethics
of hosts.

I'm not sure that talking about apathy alone demonstrates a real
understanding of the problem.

Whenever developers do try to host anything ourselves (whether it is
email, Git, a blog or a bug tracker) it starts to take away valuable
time and a lot of energy.  Just because we can get an Apache package
from a GNU/Linux distribution doesn't mean that it is the end of the
story.

I appreciate these points but I wasn't really trying to make a point about self-hosting. In the recent past I was a part of a discussion on IRC about where a particular project ought to be hosted. I found that if one desirable feature would be lost by choosing a more user respecting host that option would fail to get traction. I like idea of ethical repository criteria at the very least as a communication tool that might help some of these discussions take a turn from the status quo.