Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Recommendations for video chat on mobile phone

From: J.B. Nicholson
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Recommendations for video chat on mobile phone
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2018 16:13:37 -0500

Caleb Herbert wrote:
Man, XMPP worked great for video and text chat in 2012.  Why did it
just get dumped suddenly? :(

There's been considerable pressure to drop standards for things we're all free to implement and reuse. RSS too is (in the untrustworthy corporate tech media) said to be less popular now but undergoing a rediscovery.

I imagine this happens in favor of some futile attempt to make private areas of influence and control. Some people readily give into those pressures citing a circular popularity argument if they don't give in (they'll lose "relevance" or somehow become less popular if they don't concede to a publisher/redistributor's power). Principled arguments need not apply.

But large audio program distributors don't make it easy to publish RSS feeds (some don't publish RSS feeds at all). Such is what happens with a largely undereducated populace making decisions based on convenience, price (weighed exclusively monetarily), and the perception of popularity evaluated in their media bubbles.