Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Recommendations for video chat on mobile phone

From: Todd Weaver
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Recommendations for video chat on mobile phone
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2018 09:46:31 -0700

OP: I would suggest RIOT.im that uses matrix.org, which is free
software that can be self hosted.

Other points addressed below as well...

On Sat, 2018-08-18 at 15:49 -0700, Aaron Wolf wrote:

> > They're no more likely to be found than if they used a
> > service that respects their users wishes for increased privacy and
> > control over their own computers.
>
> The likelihood to reach an audience is more about all the details,
> the network effects, how people discover things, etc.
>
> In practice, there's a correlation *today* between increased success
> in finding audiences and going to where they are and those being
> not-so-respectful services.
>
> The same video posted on YouTube already gets much more chance of
> audience on that platform than one posted just to Archive.org or
> self-hosted somewhere.

I agree here, and the nuanced approach I use to educate this point is
that decentralized is great for freedom and human rights, but terrible
for branding (and in turn convenience for people).

What is needed (and I for one am formalizing) is leveraging
decentralized (federated) free software services and the ethics they
bring bundled under a well marketing and well funded brand to drive
people to (and away from the unethical proprietary services that grab
headlines today).

Combining the benefits of decentralization (email, xmpp, matrix, etc.)
under a centralized brand to easily refer people to by default (but
specifically not disallowing decentralization and self hosting). It is
no easy chore, but a worthwhile venture nonetheless.

> People today largely notice things because some awful dark-pattern,
> unethical, intelligent, well-funded people have created addictive
> silo'ed platforms where people pay attention to a mix of things they
> are shown without otherwise knowing what they are looking for.

I tend to agree with the larger point made here.

> People get more attention by going to where the crowds are and going
> to the unethical platforms. This is a fact of our reality and we'll
> do better fighting it by acknowledging the facts than by just being
> in denial about it.

I agree here too Aaron; to influence change positively we have to
provide ethical convenient products that respect people, rather than
exploit them.

Todd.