Re: GNU Libtool 2.2.6b released

From: Bob Friesenhahn
Subject: Re: GNU Libtool 2.2.6b released
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 10:10:58 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009, Jeff Squyres wrote:

Congrats on the release!

I'm a little confused by the version number, though.

2.2.6a was explicitly billed as a packaging change vs. 2.2.6. This was also the rationale provided as to why the "a" suffix was not included in the directory name from the expanded tarball. This new release has the suffix "b" *and* includes "b" in the directory name.

This is a departure from prior LT releases where bug fixes incremented the minor number -- I expected this release to be 2.2.7.

I also noticed that the 'a' release was not propagated into the directory name. I am not sure if this is a bug according to FSF rules, but it seems like a defect if source packages can not be extracted to the same directory without overwriting each other, and for this instance it is quite useful if 'libtool --version' includes the 'b' so I tend to be happy with 'b'. We should thank Peter for donating his weekend to the task of cutting the release.

What is done is done and the current focus from libtool 2.2.X users should be to make sure that any libltdl embedded in their own packages matches this version.

Bob
--
Bob Friesenhahn