Re: Vim-mode for LilyPond

From: Heikki Johannes Junes
Subject: Re: Vim-mode for LilyPond
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 10:30:58 +0300 (EET DST)

> Sure, if Heikki doesn't do it.  Hmm... maybe it should be submitted to
> the vim folks as well.

Why not. The syntax-file was done in such manner that it would allow
changes to the syntax during the time passing.

> In any case, I'll look into what needs to be done (to use the vimrc as
> a user, rather than copying it into /usr/share/vim/foo) and figure out
> where in the docs to stick it.

As described in

http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/vim2html2.pl?page=filetype.txt#new-filetype

there are two local files to be created. First create local directories

mkdir -p ~/.vim/syntax/

Then file ~/.vim/filetype.vim

" my filetype file
if exists("did_load_filetypes")
  finish
endif
augroup filetypedetect
  au! BufRead,BufNewFile  *.ly          setfiletype lilypond
augroup
END

And finally file ~/.vim/syntax/lilypond.vim

See: http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/lilypond-devel/2002-October/001809.html

The following line should point to some file in http-cvs (if the file will
be added to cvs):
" Latest:       http://www.lilypond.org/foo/bar/lilypond.vim

These lines should be removed:
" Notes:        Place this to, e.g., /usr/share/vim/syntax/lilypond.vim and
"               add corresponding line to, e.g., /usr/local/vim/filetypes.vim.

> BTW, from my hasty glance at the existing vimrc (in the top level of the
> source), it looks as though it's mainly aimed at people programming
> lilypond, rather than people writing lilypond files.  Is that correct,

The mode was constructed in the spirit of other syntax-files. I thought
that my earlier mail could be a patch. The notes above how to apply the
mode as a user could be included to the documentation (slightly modified).

> or have I missed things due to my ignorance of vim?  :)

I have used vim for two weeks. Earlier I ignored it because I could not
even exit from it (go through vimtutor to know). I can already see some
connection between people who like to see a graphical interface without a
mouse, and the users of vim.

> Cheers,
> - Graham

      Heikki Junes