Re: Example massacre

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Example massacre
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 18:40:02 +0100

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
So far, the arguments in favor of the "tip & trick" page have
basically been "information is hard to find in the manual," which IMO
suggests that we should improve the way how information can be looked
up.

Another reason for my original complaint was that several of the
previous examples have disappeared without being added to the
manual. Even if we experienced users think it is obvious how to
set a certain parameter, a small but complete example is often
invaluable for a less experienced user. It doesn't matter how
well we describe the general principles for doing these things.
Finally, as Laura has pointed out on another thread, the Regression
Test document is also an invaluable source of information that
cannot (at least not easily) be found anywhere else in the
documentation.

I certainly realize that Bret's idea was to provide a complement
to the ordinary Index, but I'm afraid that a single such example will
be far too messy. Maybe we could try to device a set of 5-10 such
examples to get a reasonable compromise between complexity and
overview.

   /Mats