Re: UTF8 and (La)TeX backend?

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: UTF8 and (La)TeX backend?
Date: Tue, 4 Jan 2005 23:32:03 +0100

address@hidden writes:

> > How do we prevent bigcheese20.otf from ending up hundreds of times
> > in the output?
>
> It shouldn't be too difficult:
>
>   . LilyPond produces EPS files which contain
>
>       %%DocumentNeededResources: font bigcheese20
>
>     but doesn't contain the font itself.  (I'm not sure whether such
>     files can be called `EPS' since they aren't fully self-contained.)
>
>   . The CFF part of bigcheese20.otf is extracted and put into a PS
>     resource which is loaded with the -h option of dvips.  If that
>     doesn't work, lilypond-book simply emits
>     \special{header=bigcheese.cff} at the beginning of the document.

OK.  I just had a change of plans: I'm going to retain the classic
font selection scheme, but for the non-tex backends, the selection
scheme does not produce a PFA font name, but rather a
PangoFontDescription as a string. For lilypond-book, I'm going to
implement the above, setting --backend=ps as the default.

This is not perfect. Ideally, we'd use FontConfig for fontselection
wholesale, but I don't see how we can mix that with Pango, Design
sizes and the TeX backend.