Re: MacOS X standalone lilypond app revisited

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: MacOS X standalone lilypond app revisited
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 19:12:57 +0200

Matthias Neeracher wrote:
are the sources for LilyPond.app available?

I plan to make them available (preferably under the BSD license, because I'd like the code to be available for commercial developers to borrow; apart from the python script, I did not use any GPL code to write this).

OK. I didn't see any scripts, so I guess it's objective-c, isn't it?

BTW, Are you familiar with Frameworks? Would it be possible to put all dependencies of our LilyPond.app (ie. pango, gs, etc.) in a separate Framework bundle?

Sure, but custom bundles rarely solve any problem worth solving.

The problem is that the 12 mb zip file generates a hefty amount of traffic; it would nice to package LilyPond (which has a new version every week) separately from the rest (which doesn't change all that much). Another option would be building an installer.

BTW, how you know how I create a dmg from the command line?

Glad you liked it. I tried using the picture on the lilypond home page, but it didn't work well as an icon.

Did you know if there are copyright issues with using it as a logo?

Actually, I grabbed the picture off the internet and did not clear the use with the author yet. The picture is, as far as I can tell, shot by an amateur photographer:

http://www.stumptuous.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=vancouver&id=water_lily <http://www.stumptuous.com/gallery/view_photo.php?set_albumName=vancouver&id=water_lily>

He might be willing to allow us to use the picture. Alternatives should not be terribly hard to find, I just grabbed this picture with a google search for "Water Lily", and there are lots of other pictures that look quite similar.

I'd be happy to approach the photographer to see whether he'd be willing to allow use of the picture in exchange for a name credit if you'd like me to.

that would be great. I think the water should be removed, making the lily float directly over the desktop. The green and blue are too low contrast IMO.