Re: building lilypond.exe to test WinME fixes

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: building lilypond.exe to test WinME fixes
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2005 22:57:59 +0200

Brynne and Russ Jorgensen writes:

> This has been happening since 2.5.27 - that's the main problem I've
> been trying to overcome.

Ah, I didn't catch that.  What a shame.

> if (GetStdHandle (STD_OUTPUT_HANDLE) == INVALID_HANDLE) {
>       /* send stdout to nul device */
>       freopen ("nul$", "w", stdout);
> }
>
> This shouldn't cause problems on other versions of Windows, but if we
> wanted to be super conservative we could conditionalize it for just
> Win9x/ME.

Ok, looks good.

> I'm trying to get set up to compile lilypond so I can experiment with
> possible fixes.  I got it far enough I can probably start testing
> (it's tracing fonts right now, and I have to reboot after every couple
> of fonts - looks like some resource is leaking cause it eventually
> bombs out trying to create a pipe to gf2pbm...).

Ugh.  You can download the fonts too, using

   make -C mf get-pfa

> Anyway, I copied the
> lilypond.exe I just created over to my lilypond/usr/bin directory, but
> it's not acting at all like the binary I downloaded from
> lilypond.org.

That makes sense.  The scripts in lilypond/installers/windows/
configure lilypond using

   CC="gcc -mwindows -mms-bitfields" ./configure --enable-relocation

> My guess is that ./configure didn't quite get everything
> set up right, because 1) it acts more like a console app, 2) it
> outputs the Lilypond version to the screen,

This is -mwindows.  We are using this because otherwise a dos box pops
up.

> and 3) then it bombs out can't find lily.scm.

And this probably is the relocation code.

> I'm using cygwin as my development platform.  Do
> you have suggestions about how you get it correctly configured under
> cygwin development environment?  I don't think it even linked with
> -mwindows, so at the least I need to do some tweaking.  Any
> suggestions would be welcome.

If you are suing Cygwin, are you compiling -mno-cygwin?  Otherwise you
get a Cygwin application, which is something else than a windows
application.

Hope this helps.

Jan.