Re: lilypond 2.7.8 bagpipe music gracenote spacing

From: Graydon
Subject: Re: lilypond 2.7.8 bagpipe music gracenote spacing
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 13:40:35 -0400

On Sat, Sep 10, 2005 at 01:55:15PM +0200, Sven Axelsson scripsit:
> Graydon wrote:
[snip]
> > The grace note comes out closer to the second note than the first,
> > but not as close to the second note as in the 'no beam' case.
> >
> > Any suggestions for how to center up these grace notes generally?
>
> While I don't really like having the grace notes centered between the
> melody notes, I do agreee that the default spacing for single grace
> notes is a bit too tight.

'Centred' is too strong, but the way the College of Piping has those
tunes set, those particular grace notes -- the ones functioning as a
transition between two melody notes -- are definitely further from their
associated notes than grace notes generally.

[snip]
> Another possibility would be to fiddle with the extra-offset grob property.
> This offset is applied after the score layout has been calculated, so it
> doesn't affect other items. I haven't figured out how to reference the note
> as a unit, though. This changes the position of the note head only:
>
> extraSpace = \once \override Staff.NoteHead #'extra-offset = #'(-1 . 0)

This looks like the better option; I'll take a poke at it.

> Good luck.

Thank you!

> Nice to see that someone is using the bagpipe additions.

They're very spiffy, and I'm delighted to see them in there.

The only thing I couldn't manage from the Green Book was the doubled
third bar in the second measure of "Inverness Rant", and I found the
learning curve in general quite shallow.  (Which was *not* the case when
I tried to get Andrew McNabb's version to work with 2.6.  Ouch.)

It's much appreciated stuff, even if I am kvetching about minor points
of aesthetics.