Re: Vocal music and beaming

From: Marco Gusy
Subject: Re: Vocal music and beaming
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:16:53 +0100

> By default, LilyPond supports the opposite, namely that when you
> use \lyricsto it interprets all manually inserted beams as melismas and
> only attach one syllable to each beam.

But there's an issue: a melisma isn't always entirely tied in a beam (look at
the example in my previous post, the "Ma - - -" beaming breaks every beat ).
Anyway, think to a song with many 8th syllabes and many melismas (i.e.
renaissance polyphony), it would be very tricky to manage the thing in the
voice context, while the easier way should be to insert notes without specify
beaming (and melismatas), add lyrics with dashes ( "In vo -- ci -- fe -- ra -
ti -- o -- _ _ ne") and apply the new rule 'break the beam before each new
syllable' to automatic beaming.
Could it be possible?

Thanks

Marco