Re: Tremolo positioning

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: Tremolo positioning
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 05:42:37 +1100

On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 07:01, Joshua Parmenter wrote:
> Shouldn't all tremolo lines be at the same angle (usually about 30
> degrees)?
>
> Sorry, I am new to the list, and am not sure where this thread
> started. But in standard notation, this is not what usual tremolo
> markings look like.
I started the thread on lilypond-user on 27/2 -- you can look in the archives
--  with some scanned examples of tremolos but I moved it to this list when I
made the patch. I believe that tremolos on beamed notes are always parallel
to the beam. In fact, one of my examples (Cesar Franck sonata, Schirmer
edition) has some horizontal tremolos. (In contrast, unbeamed tremolos are
always the same slope).

I agree that unsloped tremolos look a little strange, but sloped tremolos on
unsloped beams look at least as bad.

Looking at some of my first examples again, it seems that beams over tremolo
stems have a tendency to be more sloped than beams over non-tremolo stems.
This will increase the tendency of tremolos to be sloped. I'll look for some
more examples.

In the meantime, though, I think this patch improves the positioning of
tremolos significantly.

Joe