Re: Page and line penalties

From: Juergen Reuter
Subject: Re: Page and line penalties
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 11:42:53 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Joe Neeman wrote:

[...]
OK, so the solution will always have a certain level of instability. Just to
put some idea of scale on my previous example graphs, it's possible that
LilyPond will be tossing up between using 5 systems and using 10 systems. 5
systems provides much better spacing but 10 systems has less penalties. The
total badness is _slightly_ less for 5 systems so Lily goes with that.

Then the user inserts an extra bar and the number of systems doubles. I think
that instability shouldn't occur on this scale.

Now, I haven't been playing around with any line penalties, but I have done
experiments with page turn penalties and I have seen scores go from 5 to 8
pages with only small changes.

Maybe I am totally wrong, but this discussion reminds me of an issue that I raised on Nov 18, last year; see the thread starting here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2005-11/msg00088.html

I am mentioning this thread just in case that you are looking for interesting test examples.

Greetings,
Juergen