Re: overall performance

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: overall performance
Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 08:35:56 +0100

Comparing to the -O flags of most compilers, to optimize the generated code
at the expense of longer compilation time, I see both similarities and
differences:
- It's something you turn on when you know that you input source code is
 more or less correct.
- Most users don't know and don't care exactly what extra optimization is done. (Even if a compiler often has many different levels of optimization available and a list in the documentation of what each level does, I'm sure that almost
 all users choose the highest level of optimization for production code.)
* If the compiler is bug free, the resulting program should be equivalent
  no matter if you use -O or not. However, in the case of LilyPond, the
 semantics of the music will be the same, but not the layout.
* In the case of LilyPond, this is something you turn on before doing the
 final tweaks of the layout, which means that the turn-around time for the
fine tuning part of the typesetting will be affected by the longer compilation
 time.

  /Mats

Graham Percival wrote:

Would it be desirable to have
\fastProcessing
\qualityProcessing
macros?

No, this is as stupid as the 'windows video acceleration' settings:
most users won't know they're there,

Well, that's what the documentation is for.

and if they know, it's not clear what the settings do.

That's what ly/property-init.ly is for.

We occasionally get people (even me!) sending "bug" reports about
\override Score.PaperColumn #'keep-inside-line = ##t

You said that it added 5% or 10% to the processing time, so it wasn't worth having it on by default. That's fine; I'm not criticizing that decision. But what if somebody _is_ willing to spend that extra processing time to get great-looking music? Currently they need to comb through the manual (and program reference, because I haven't documented every case because I don't know them all!) to find all such options.

At the very least we should have a doc page with the "higher quality output commands that are turned off by default" \override commands. Why not also make a
\qualifyProcessing

macro that sets it up for them as well?

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing