RE: Patches for fret-diagrams update.

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: RE: Patches for fret-diagrams update.
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 12:01:55 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:

> As far as I know, there's no easy way to build lilypond on cygwin, so I
> should probably download a mingw version of release 2.11.28.  This will
> install the executables, as well as the ly/ and scm/ files.

Hmm.  I thought that it was pretty easy to build lilypond on cygwin, but
you have to install all the dependencies (which are quite numerous).

Working with MinGW binaries on Cygwin is somewhat tricky: MinGW assumes a
different path, a different /, and cannot follow symlinks.

> All my work for this update is on the /scm files, but the place where
> the files need to be to work with the executable is different from the
> place where the git repository has them.  The "executable" .scm files
> are in Program Files/LilyDev/usr/share/current/lilypond/scm.  The git
> files are in lilypond/scm.
>
> What is the convenient way to work with this?  I'd like to avoid making
> changes in the "executable" files and then copying them to the git
> repository, although I can do that.  If possible, I'd like to avoid
> making changes in the git repository, and then copying the files to the
> "executable" location.
>
> Any advice on how I can use git to easily accomplish these changes would
> be appreciated.

If you do not want to compile LilyPond on cygwin from scratch, I fully
understand.  AFAICT compiling LilyPond on MinGW is impossible; only
cross-compiling works.

So if you work in Program Files/.../scm, as Han-Wen suggested, I would put
in a symbolic link from your checkout's scm/ to the binaries' scm/, work
there, but commit in the checkout.

IOW if your checkout is in $HOME/lilypond, do this:

        $ cd ~/lilypond/
        $ mv scm scm.orig
        $ ln -s "/cygdrive/c/Program
Files/LilyDev/usr/share/current/lilypond/scm" .

AFAIK git does not get confused by a directory (in the middle of the path
name) being replaced by a symbolic link.  If it is, tell me, and I'll fix
it.

Ciao,
Dscho