Incipits

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Incipits
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2008 19:26:39 +0100

Le 3 févr. 08 à 02:04, Juergen Reuter a écrit :

However, I see a very important feature missing in this approach:
An incipit should (at least in my view) be thought of as the beginning of a piece written in notation that comes close to the autograph or first publishing. That is, the incipit actually starts the music. Then, at some point (e.g. after the clef or after the first note of each voice or after the first few notes), the music is reset to its start, the notation switches to modern style, and printing starts again, this time from the very beginning to the very end.

In particular, as Laura points out, many people want to include one or more notes in the incipit. More generally, virtually any music expression could appear in an incipit -- it's just printed in an old- fashioned style or otherwise coming much closer to the original.

Thus, the ideal behavior of an incipt engraver would be to ordinary start printing the piece, using (for example) a mensural context and the info from IncipitClef, IncipitSignature, and IncipitTimeSignature. Then, when the InciptEngraver has done its work, the music should rewind back to the very beginning, and ordinary type setting should start.

Grr, I just wanted to simply print two different clefs at the
beginning of a score, and now I found myself trying to implement
full featured incipits, damnit!

I have something, based on the instrument name hack, which gives
the following result:

TIFF image

The score looks like:

\score {
  \new StaffGroup <<
    \new Staff <<
      \set Staff.instrumentName = \markup Toto
      \vocalIncipit { \clef "neomensural-c1" c'4 d' e' f' }
                    \lyricmode { do ré mi fa }
      \new Voice = melody {
        \clef "treble" c'4 d' e' f'

        c'1
      }
      \lyricsto melody \new Lyrics \lyricmode { do re mi fa }

    \new Staff <<
      \set Staff.instrumentName = \markup Titi
      \incipit { \clef "neomensural-c2" c'4 g c'2 }
      {
        \clef "alto" c'4 g c'2
        c'1
      }

    \new Staff <<
      \set Staff.instrumentName = \markup Tutu
      \incipit { \clef "neomensural-c3" c'4 g c'2 }
      {
        \clef "alto" c'4 g c'2
        c'1
      }

  \layout {
    indent = 5\cm
    ragged-right = ##t
    \context {
      \Staff
      \remove "Instrument_name_engraver"
      \consists "Incipit_engraver"
    }
  }
}

Is it nearer to people expectations wrt to incipits?

nicolas