Re: Problem lilypond-book and fragments with quote and line-width

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Problem lilypond-book and fragments with quote and line-width
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2008 18:47:54 +0100

Am Sonntag, 30. März 2008 schrieben Sie:

> > > Ok.  Is this unavoidable?  If so, that's fine; I just haven't
> > > looked into it.
> >
> > Neither have I. the main problem I see with PDFs is that the linked
> > PDF needs to exist to be able to retrieve the correct page number. No
> > idea how texi2pdf handles this case (if it does at all!)..
>
> In theory it should be possible -- I mean, when LaTeX compiles a
> document, you need to run it multiple times to get all the page
> number references correct.  This is just an extention of that
> idea... run latex once on each file (to get the basic layout
> correct), then run it again (perhaps multiple times) to get the
> exact numbers.

Actually, that's not how it is supposed to happen in texinfo...

Finally a problem that is really caused by us and not by a bug in texinfo!
For cross-reference to other manuals, one should always use the five-parameter
form of xref, since texinfo doesn't look at the other pdf file to extract
page numbers etc (page numbers should only be printed for references within
the same doc). The fifth argument is the name of the other manual. E.g. ruser
should actually be:

@macro ruser{TEXT}
@vindex \TEXT\
@ref{\TEXT\,,,lilypond,Notation Reference}
@end macro

Then in PDF a @ruser{Nodename} will print "section Nodename in Notation
Reference" and not try to create a link with page names... The HTML output
will stay the same (ie. only the node name).

Cheers,
Reinhold

- --