Re: WANTED: Design for documentation

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: WANTED: Design for documentation
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:17:18 -0700

On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 12:54 PM, Reinhold Kainhofer
<address@hidden> wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 23. Juli 2008 schrieb Reinhold Kainhofer:
>> One thing I noticed, though, is that at least Konqueror does not properly
>> handle mouse-wheel scolling for divs with overflow=auto. In particular, you
>> can neither mouse-wheel scroll the TOC nor the contents pane. Additionally,
>> links to anchors within such a div don't work (which means that the links
>> to unnumbered subsections in the lilypond docs always point to the start of
>> the page, but not to the appropriate section!). Clearly, this is a browser
>> bug/limitation, of course.
>>
>> Firefox 3 and opera seem to handle both issues well, could you please test
>> IE and Safari? In particular, try to go to section "1.1.1 Writing pitches"
>> and there to e.g. "Accidentals" in the TOC. Also, please test if the
>> mouse-wheel works in the contents and/or TOC pane (in Konqueror it only
>> works when the cursor is on the scrollbar, but not if the mouse cursor is
>> above text).
>
> FYI, I just tested it with IE6 and Safari for Windows (both running in Linux
> using Wine) and these browsers seem to work fine. IE6 shows two scrollbars on
> the right (one deactivated for the whole page and the second one for the
> contents div, where you can scroll the contents), but apart from that
> everything seems to work fine.

Yes, the "two scrollbar" issue also occurs in IE7.  It can be resolved
by removing overflow:auto from div#main, but then IE7 treats
div#tocframe as though it is absolutely positioned (instead of fixed).
 Since IE6 (and IE5.5, etc.) doesn't support position:fixed, keeping
overflow:auto in both div#tocframe and div#main keeps the layout
consistent from IE5 to IE7.  This solution is a compromise; however,
it would be nice to discover a way to hide the extra scrollbar...

The mouse-wheel scrolling and the links to anchors work in every
browser I've tested.  This must be a Konqueror-specific issue.

The attached patch fixes an issue with horizontal scrollbars in
Firefox 2.  It simply moves the overflow:auto in div#main to the IE
stylesheet.  Since div#main is absolutely positioned, browsers
(excluding IE) do not need this rule.

Thanks,
Patrick