documentation addition (tremolo beams)

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: documentation addition (tremolo beams)
Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 18:34:06 +0000 (UTC)

Hi all,

The vast amount of time it took me to figure out this simple solution inspired
me to actually recommend some changes to the docs. Whoever's in charge of this,
feel free to edit it if needed. Thanks again for an awesome program.

Mark

----

In section 1.4.2 Short repeats::Tremolo repeats, after the fourth paragraph
("...two whole notes joined by tremolo beams."), I'd like to recommend these
2 new paragraphs:

----

Stemmed tremolos with open note-heads (appearing like half-notes) are normally
typeset with beams that connect to the stems. Certain engraving styles typeset
some of these beams as centered floating beams that do not touch the stems. The
number of floating beams in this type of tremolo is controlled with the
gap-count property of the Beam object:

  \repeat tremolo 8 { a'32 f' }
  \override Beam #'gap-count = #1
  \repeat tremolo 8 { a'32 f' }
  \override Beam #'gap-count = #2
  \repeat tremolo 8 { a'32 f' }
  \override Beam #'gap-count = #3
  \repeat tremolo 8 { a'32 f' }

The size of the gaps between beams and stems is set with the gap property::

  \override Beam #'gap-count = #3
  \override Beam #'gap = #1.33
  \repeat tremolo 8 { a'32 f' }
  \override Beam #'gap = #1