Re: PATCH: Arrowed accidentals for microtone notation

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: PATCH: Arrowed accidentals for microtone notation
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 08:26:55 +0200 (CEST)

> Anyway, here finally is a series of patches implementing these
> accidentals.

This looks very nice!

> Anyone up for a review?

Here my comments, after applying all six patches locally.

  . With patch #6, you are widening the shape of a sharp if you either
    attach an up arrow or two arrows, but you don't do that for a down
    arrow only.  This is a bad idea IMHO.  You should widen the
    charbox alone but not the shape.

  . For the natural with an arrow up, you also make the opposite,
    non-arrowed end smaller.  This is a bug, I think, since you don't
    do that for the natural with an arrow down.

  . The height and depth of all arrowed characters is a bit too
    large.  Why?

> P.S.: I took care to make the charboxes precisely enclose the glyphs
> (which metafont confirms).  However, the result looks rather
> clamped, and there are even occasional collisions with the
> arrowheads.  Is this a bug in lilypond's spacing algorithm?  I seem
> to remember that there have been problems with accidentals being
> placed too close to other symbols.  Could this be the same issue?
> If for some reason there really needs to be more space around the
> glyphs, you can also apply patch #6 (and tweak the numbers if you
> wish).

After adding your (corrected) patches #1 to #5, maybe Joe or Neil can
play with it, finding out why there are collisions.  Note that the
current skyline algorithm always handles glyphs as rectangles.  We
don't have a finer resolution (yet).

It would be good if you can provide ugly test cases.

    Werner