Re: Three questions for ancient.itely

From: Eyolf Østrem
Subject: Re: Three questions for ancient.itely
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 23:05:46 +0200

On 24.09.2008 (21:51), Neil Puttock wrote:
> Hi Eyolf,
>
> 2008/9/24 Eyolf Østrem <address@hidden>:
>
> > 1. Is there a good reason why it takes the monstruous
> > \override Staff.Accidental #'glyph-name-alist =
> > #alteration-mensural-glyph-name-alist
> > to change the Accidental style of a piece,
>
> I guess what you're after is something like this, which hides the
> 'glyph-name-alist changes using a callback which reads 'style:
>
> \version "2.11.60"
>
> #(define (glyph-name-alist-callback grob)
>   (let* ((style (ly:grob-property grob 'style))
>          (style-list `((default . ,standard-alteration-glyph-name-alist)
>                        (hufnagel . ,alteration-hufnagel-glyph-name-alist)
>                        (makam . ,makam-alteration-glyph-name-alist)
>                        (medicaea . ,alteration-medicaea-glyph-name-alist)
>                        (mensural . ,alteration-mensural-glyph-name-alist)
>                        (vaticana . ,alteration-vaticana-glyph-name-alist))))
>
>     (ly:assoc-get style style-list standard-alteration-glyph-name-alist)))
>
> \relative c' {
>   \override Accidental #'glyph-name-alist = #glyph-name-alist-callback
>   \override Accidental #'style = #'mensural
>   c cis d es
>   \revert Accidental #'style
>   e f ges g
>   \override Accidental #'style = #'vaticana
>   as bes b c
> }

Yes, this looks good. Any chance of getting this incorporated in the core
code -- also in such a way that the first \override line is not necessary?
After all, a typical user case would be to want to set the style once for
the whole piece, occasioning much hair-tearing in search for the right
syntax for the one necessary \override line.

San Francisco isn't what it used to be, and it never was.
                -- Herb Caen