Re: Docs - unfretted strings

From: Andrew Hawryluk
Subject: Re: Docs - unfretted strings
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 18:44:27 -0600

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Valentin Villenave
<address@hidden> wrote:
> By the way, guitar/harp/piano/percussions are a same group in
> orchestras, whereas strings are another group. Besides, harp notation
> is (on a semantic/symbolic level) much closer to keyboards or guitar
> stuff than to violins, and strictly speaking the harp is as much
> (less) of an unfretted string instrument as the piano.

I thought of this while writing the keyboards part but didn't say
anything because I didn't want to upset the established dichotomy of
fretted vs. unfretted strings. Since it is now upset, we should
consider simply moving all the harp material to keyboards. As far as
the typesetting is concerned, harp music is piano music with unique
tuning issues and a higher number of glissandi. Conversely, Hindemith
called the piano "a harp with hammers".

This would leave us with the guitar/banjo/frets section and the
orchestral strings section.

Any thoughts or objections?

Andrew