Re: Docs - unfretted strings

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Docs - unfretted strings
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 08:28:42 +0100

Andrew Hawryluk wrote Monday, September 29, 2008 1:44 AM

On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Valentin Villenave
<address@hidden> wrote:
By the way, guitar/harp/piano/percussions are a same group in
orchestras, whereas strings are another group. Besides, harp notation
is (on a semantic/symbolic level) much closer to keyboards or guitar
stuff than to violins, and strictly speaking the harp is as much
(less) of an unfretted string instrument as the piano.

I thought of this while writing the keyboards part but didn't say
anything because I didn't want to upset the established dichotomy of
fretted vs. unfretted strings. Since it is now upset, we should
consider simply moving all the harp material to keyboards. As far as
the typesetting is concerned, harp music is piano music with unique
tuning issues and a higher number of glissandi. Conversely, Hindemith
called the piano "a harp with hammers".

This would leave us with the guitar/banjo/frets section and the
orchestral strings section.

I came to the same conclusion.  It is also far easier
to do this - no new files are needed, as the common
notation for keyboards is pretty well right for the
harp, and Harp slots in after Piano and Accordion.

Perhaps we should change the heading slightly from
"Keyboard instruments" to "Keyboards and other many-stringed instruments". It's a bit long, but
I'll go with this unless there are better suggestions.

Andrew - I'll make the heading changes right away.
Do you want to flesh out the Harp section?  Valentin
has done most of the pedal bits towards the bottom of App B.8.5, so not a lot is required.
Andrew

Trevor