Re: LP's staff lines are thinner than Henle...

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: LP's staff lines are thinner than Henle...
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 14:36:22 -0800

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 02:07:35PM -0800, Mark Polesky wrote:
> I'm intentionally making a big deal out of this because this
> is the text on page 2 of the manual, and disingenuous claims
> are off-putting to new users. We're trying to "sell" a
> product, but our pitch is unconvincing and maybe a little
> suspicious.

Thanks for looking into this.  My initial thought is that we
should print out our flat (at 4800dpi or whatever), then scan that
printout.  This would avoid any pdf->png confusion, as well as
presenting a more unified comparison.  (well, it would if we could
print it on the same paper as the Henle and Barenreiter flats
used)

However -- and I really hate asking people to delay things when
they're enthusiastic -- could you wait a few weeks until GOP
starts?  With Christmas and preparing for 2.12, this isn't the
best of times to fiddle with such details.  In addition, the
entire Engraving essay will be removed from the LM, put somewhere
else, and quite possibly be rewritten from scratch as part of GOP.
(that said, we will probably retain the comparison of flats, so
perhaps there's no point waiting before producing the scans)