Re: Invalid overrides in ly/gregorian.ly?

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Invalid overrides in ly/gregorian.ly?
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 08:41:09 -0000

Patrick McCarty wrote Sunday, February 01, 2009 11:27 PM

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 1:11 PM, Trevor Daniels <address@hidden> wrote:

It looks like extra-X-extent and extra-Y-extent were removed from the
calculation of a grob extent in lily/grob.cc by committish
c9b87b059ea73d9adb2b416e30c78e9340af8af2.  This is dated 21 Oct 2005, so
these properties have been ineffective for quite a while!

I can't find them used anywhere else.

These two properties definitely do not work anymore, and removing the
overrides in ly/gregorian.ly don't affect any of the examples in NR
2.8

The extra-spacing-width/height properties seem to do much the same as
extra-X/Y-extent used to do.

This *seems* to be true, but since extra-spacing-width/height belong
to the item-interface, and extra-X/Y-extent belong to the
grob-interface, I'm a little skeptical that the two sets of properties
are related.

The difference between the item-interface and grob-interface is that
the item-interface is used only by grobs with a definite shape, so it's
not used, for example, by spacing or alignment grobs.  But it does
need to be checked and documented properly.  At this stage I agree
we can't simply convert one to the other.

I think we should just remove the properties and add a convert-ly
rule, but I'm not sure how to write this sort of rule.  Not often are
grob properties *removed* from LilyPond without being replaced by
another property.  :-)

Agreed.  We can't code a rule to fix extra-X/Y-extent automatically, so
the rule should just issue a warning message which simply says this
property is no longer in use and suggests extra-spacing-width/height
might be an alternative.

-Patrick
Trevor