Re: adding snippets manually

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: adding snippets manually
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 23:53:19 +0800

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 09:32:10AM -0600, Carl D. Sorensen wrote:

> On 4/18/09 9:24 AM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >> Why is it harder to leave the old version up than to take it down when we
> >> move to the new stable version?  What am I missing?
> >
> > Time.  What happens if somebody adds a nifty snippet to the old
> > LSR?  Will we notice?  If so, what next -- do we manually copy it
> > into the new one?
>
> I think having the old version LSR as a read only repository is just like
> having old versions of the documentation around -- it doesn't cost much, and
> it doesn't require any maintenance (except that it does require the host to
> have multiple versions of LilyPond available).

Yes, that's possible!  We could do it just like the old
documentation... in fact... what if we made it *exactly* like the
old documentation?!  We could have a portion of the docs which
includes the snippets, and which would be automatically frozen
along with the rest of the docs when we move on to the next stable
branch!  :)

Mao, aren't I a genius for setting this up two years ago?  ;)

PS about a year ago, I had exactly the same discussion with Mats.
I'm going to bet that it'll be Reinhold in 2010.

PPS ok, I admit that this snippets-in-docs don't include the
searching abilities of LSR, although Reinhold's recent php-search
thing may alleviate this problem.  I don't think it's a vital
issue, though -- the good snippets are in the docs, they're
arranged by tags.  It's not hard to find the relevant snippets to
whatever you're interested in.