Re: delaying new website after 2.14

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: delaying new website after 2.14
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 16:20:17 -0300

On Fri, Jul 10, 2009 at 8:14 PM, Graham
Percival<address@hidden> wrote:

> Here's my thoughts:
> - probably 95% of our users read English well.
> - the new website is way better than the old website.  Not so much
>  for downloading, but the Introduction, Documentation, and
>  Community pages especially are much clearer.
> - the English parts of the new website will be ready for 2.14.
> - the translation infrastructure may or may not be ready.
> - unless we delay 2.14 by a month or two... or four or five... the
>  translations won't be ready.
>
> So... do we launch a shiny new 2.14 release with the old sucky
> website, resulting in more users sending confused questions?  Or
> do we piss off the non-good-English-reading users (and, more
> importantly in my mind, the contributors who worked on
> translations) by replacing the website?
>
> What about switching to the new website, but adding a note on the
> first page to say that it hasn't been translated yet, but those
> preferring other languages can browse the old website *here link*?

Don't do this: my recommendation for any software development, is that
you make sure that a new release is _always_ strictly better than the
old release.  You will wedge yourself when you dont manage to deliver
the translation infrastructure for the new site, and in the process,
will probably piss off the guys that worked hard to translate the old
site.