Re: proposal for doc+web sources

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: proposal for doc+web sources
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 2009 15:02:33 -0600

On 7/11/09 4:21 AM, "Graham Percival" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Here's my proposal for the source/makefile view of documentation.
> (this is the big argument one)

In general, I think these proposals are reasonable.

> My understanding is that linking between texinfo manuals is easier
> if the main files are in the same directory.  With that in mind, I
> propose:
>
> docs/
> docs/learning.tely
> docs/learning/*.itely
> docs/notation.tely
> docs/notation/*.itely
> + glossary, essay, application
>
> docs/snippets.tely    (moved from input/lsr/ and input/new/)
> docs/snippets/*.ly

I would only support this if we have some reasonable process for supporting
snippets on development versions.

Right now, when I'm working on new syntax for autobeaming, it's really
convenient to have snippets in input/new that automatically get transferred
to input/snippets by running makelsr.py.

As much as I like the lsr, I don't like having documentation depend on the
lsr.  I shouldn't have to put snippets in the lsr  in order to get them in
the documentation, or else I should have a  much easier way of getting them
into the lsr.

Are we about to ditch the lsr as a part of LilyPond documentation?

> docs/contributors.texi
> docs/contributors/*.texi
>
> docs/web.texi
> docs/web/*.itexi
>
> docs/topdocs/
> docs/topdocs/changes.texi
> docs/topdocs/compile.texi
>
> regression/   new location of input/regressions/
> input/        completely deleted

Thanks for your efforts,

Carl