Re: (c) does not equal "copyright"

From: demery
Subject: Re: (c) does not equal "copyright"
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 14:31:23 -0000

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009, Mark Polesky <address@hidden> said:

> Is this something to address?

Depends on how much value is placed on the copyrights, and the legal
validity of gnu's viewpoint (which I am not disputing, I have no
particular knowledge of copyright law).  At issue is the prospect of
someone winning a court fight and establishing their copyright over ours
to the detriment of the project as a whole.  Legal battles such as that
are always expensive and sometimes unwinable for the cost.

>A lot of LP source files use (c) and not "Copyright"...

Shouldnt be too horendous to go over the source using BBEdit or the like
looking for first instances of (c); yes, there might be false hits on the
variable c being fed to a function, so dont do the replace blindly.
Probably should do this with the goal of establishing a standard
declaration in every source file that supports comments.  Apples XCode 2.5
generates 'empty' project source code files with some initial commented
content including the following:

//  Copyright 2009 __MyCompanyName__. All rights reserved.

Note that __MyCompanyName__ is an automatic variable which substitutes
text taken from the addressbook if you have made an entry for the
logged-in user.

The barn door has been open as long as the source has been available for
download.  Unfortunately, it may be that ly is ported to some system which
insists on ascii-7 source code, so we need to go with english prose to be
conservative until we are certain of a universal support for unicode in
comments.

--
Dana Emery