Re: horizontal offset bug of skip markups

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: horizontal offset bug of skip markups
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 16:08:13 +0200 (CEST)

> This effect seems to be a consequence of ragged-right = ##f together
> with a second bar containing a single note (or space).  When the
> second bar is stretched to fill the line the note gets displaced
> almost to the centre of the bar.  This simpler example shows the
> same effect:
>
> \paper {
>  ragged-right = ##f
> }
> {
>  a'1
>  a'1^"foobar"
> }
>
> The spacing may not be optimum, but I'm not sure I'd call it a bug.
> After all, stretching this out to a full line is never going to look
> right, whatever you do.

I consider it a bug, as the attached real-world example shows.  In the
last bar, the markup attached to the skip is even further to the right
than the full rest itself!

What about the following:

  a. If we have a full-bar skip like `s1' or `s8*7', position it
     similar to a quarter note, namely at the beginning of the bar.

  b. If we really need a full-bar skip which behaves like a full-bar
     rest, using a yet-to-be-introduced `S1' or `S8*7'.

In most cases, only a. is necessary, I believe.

      Werner

PNG image