Re: horizontal offset bug of skip markups

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: horizontal offset bug of skip markups
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2009 08:53:20 +0100

Werner LEMBERG wrote Thursday, August 27, 2009 3:11 PM

After all, it is very easy to place the markup where you want it by
simply using two spacer notes:

foo = {
 s1
 \time 7/8 s8^"foobar" s8*6
 \time 10/8
}

OK, I haven't thought of that solution, thanks. This should perhaps
be added to the documentation.

There is a serious drawback of the above solution: If `skipbars=##t', you must write e.g. `s1*3' to get a three-bar multi-measure rest in
constructions like `<< { ... } {... } >>'.  Replacing it with `s4
s2. s1*2' gives a different result...

Going back to the original problem, the
only way I can see of positioning markup
reliably to the left of a measure containing
full-measure rests it to use a rehearsal
mark with \mark, adjusting the font as required,
and repositioning the text from that known
position if necessary.

As the suggested solution in the NR no longer
works I'll change it to this, unless a better
solution is forthcoming from someone else.

A possible solution (and maybe even a good one regardless of the
specific problem) is to make `skipbars' ignore the structure of skip
rests, always accumulating them to the maximum value.

That sounds reasonable, but is not a solution
that is immediately available.

Trevor