Re: Breve with double lines on each side

From: demery
Subject: Re: Breve with double lines on each side
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2009 18:32:35 -0400 (EDT)

> Am Montag, 24. August 2009 20:23:01 schrieb Reinhold Kainhofer:

> Oh, I also wanted to attach a sample including this breve style, but
> forgot.
> It's attached now.

The semibreve and minim note heads for the neomensural seem too small,
compared to the breve and long.  Were they reduced, or does this need
attention?

Further, all the historical fonts I have seen used diamonds for that
notehead, ie, narrower than tall (perhaps 4:5 ratio); it was the scribal
tradition, expected by the public and so copied by the fontcutters Le Be,
Granjon et al.

Look to the Notation article in Groves for examples.  While in the
library, also look for a copy of Mary K Duggan _ Italian Music Incunabula:
Printers and Type_.
--
Dana Emery