Re: defining make vars

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: defining make vars
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 10:13:58 +0100

On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 10:17:49AM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> Op dinsdag 08-09-2009 om 08:53 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Graham
> Percival:
> > On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 09:36:22AM +0200, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> > > Guys!  What happened to grep?
> >
> > I had honestly completely forgotten that there was a make/ dir;
> >I'd been looking in stepmake/ and Documentation/.
>
> Uhuh... how do you run grep then?  If you know about
>
>    grep ... $(git ls-files)
>
> you do not have to know about files/directories [much easier
> than the old grep $(find . -type f | grep -Ev 'out/|out-www')]?

I didn't know about the $(git ls-files) trick.  Previously, I'd
only "grep foo *", and try whichever directories seemed relevant.

> > I'd like to double-check this
>
> You know, there's a tool for that, try
>
>     grep gloss $(git ls-files python scripts)
>     grep Documentation/ $(git ls-files python scripts)

Neat!

> > I propose to extend /VERSION to include:
> > STABLE_VERSION
> > DEVEL_VERSION
>
> You cannot do that!?

Err... are you saying "you should not do that!", or "why on earth
would you want to do that, you idiot?", or "are you so lacking in
technical ability that you can't figure out how to do this
yourself?"  ?

- I possess the technical ability to do this.
- I'm asking if it's a good idea.

> Also, is there ever any time that DEVEL_VERSION != VERSION?

Last I heard, John wanted to produce the website from the
stable/x.y branch.  Of course, you could still ask if
STABLE_VERSION != VERSION... I just figured that if I was going to
extent /VERSION, I might as well add one more variable (i.e. the
SATBLE_ or DEVEL_, whichever was not strictly necessary) just to
make it easier to keep that info in sync between master and
stable/x.y,

> I suppose that we need STABLE_VERSION for producing the
> web site -- both the old lily-web and GUB scripts have/share
> code for deriving those from lilypond.org.

Yes.  We could still use those, but
- it require an active internet connection to build lilypond
  (at least the first time).  This seems like a Bad Idea (tm).
- those scripts would need a bit of rewriting
- once rewritten, they'd add another bit to the complexity of the
  build system.