Re: Switching to Waf instead of SCons?

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Switching to Waf instead of SCons?
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2009 20:39:03 -0600

On 9/11/09 9:21 AM, "John Mandereau" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Carl,
> Le jeudi 10 septembre 2009 à 16:25 -0600, Carl Sorensen a écrit :
>> I'd be willing to give a hand if I can.  I read your wiki page, but didn't
>> get anything from it in terms of how I could help.  Give me a ping if you
>> get to the point that you can carve out some kind of task for me to try.
>
> At this early stage, I've just found that Waf doesn't provide any
> built-in generic function to check a program version, so I'm writing a
> function to provide this feature, and I have started writing a Waf tool
> for Texinfo.  The two tasks you could look at to begin are
>
> - add attached wscript to top of the source directory, replace
> hard-coded VERSION by some code that parses the VERSION file (Python std
> lib has a module for parsing configuration files), and commit this
> wscript to dev/waf branch;

In working on this, I found that the built-in ConfigureParser of Python
won't work with the VERSION file, because it requires sections (i.e. text
headers enclosed in []), and the VERSION has no sections.

I found a BSD-licensed python module, configobj.py, that provides the
ability to parse a config file without sections, like VERSION.

I've successfully written the script so that it works on my setup, but where
should I put configobj.py so that it will be available?  And should I even
try to go this way, or should I write my own parsing code?

Writing my own code seems like a waste of time, but if the license is going
to cause problems, I guess I could do so.

Carl