Re: improving the CG

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: improving the CG
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 09:55:57 -0000

Mark Polesky wrote Sunday, December 27, 2009 2:14 AM

Carl Sorensen wrote:
Have you considered whether "Using Git" should be an
appendix?  To the extent that it's teaching about git,
rather than about LilyPond, it might belong in an
appendix.

Maybe there should be a chapter called something like
"Contributing patches" that mentions all the possible ways
of contributing patches, and then appendices describing
various ways (diff, git, lilycontrib.tcl).

Okay, I tried revising the structure to accommodate some
suggestions, but I can't find a way to move the Git stuff to
an appendix without creating awkward continuity issues.

Because of this, I'd rather keep all the Git stuff together
in the same chapter (even if some of it isn't LP-specific).

I agree; it should be kept together.

So, how important is a Git appendix to you guys?  If it's
important, do you have any suggestions for resolving the
goose-chase problem?

I'm not very concerned either way.  It could all
be in an appendix with "see App" instructions liberally
scattered or in a self-contained chapter with "skip this
if you know all this stuff" prefixed.

Furthermore, I prefer the hierarchy of nodes when `Using
Git' is in its own chapter, ie. I don't want to squeeze all
of this into a single @unnumberedsubsubsec:

It is better to have a self-contained chapter.  It
is then clearer what to skip or what to refer to as
appropriate.  And nodes at the lowest level enable
more precise cross-references - a big plus.

Attached is the latest version of the index, hopefully
you'll see what I mean.  Let me know what you think.

1.2 Beginners start here?
1.3 Experienced developers start here?

I see you still have the Windows section separate.
Is it not feasible to integrate it?  It's only
separate because the early contributions were made
independently.

The rest looks fine.

Trevor