Re: CG chapter 2, first draft

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: CG chapter 2, first draft
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 09:53:44 -0000

John Mandereau wrote Tuesday, January 12, 2010 10:21 AM

Trevor Daniels wrote
I never did it - with git gui you never need an
editor.  It has a pane specifically for displaying,
entering and editing commit messages.  It also has
an "Amend Last Commit" button which was the only
form of rebase -i I ever needed.

"Amend Last Commit" is more likely the equivalent of "git commit
--amend" than "git rebase -i"; this is just an opinion from a user of the command-line interface, I don't know how it works behind the scenes.

You're quite right.  What I said was shorthand for:

I've never needed to use rebase -i to squash commits as I
find amending the last commit with the Amend Last Commit
button has so far met all my needs.  That way no editor is
required.

Of course in more complex situations rebase -i would
be required.

Trevor