Re: PATCH: issue 1116 (fill-line regression 2.13.11 to 2.13.12+)

From: Neil Puttock
Subject: Re: PATCH: issue 1116 (fill-line regression 2.13.11 to 2.13.12+)
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 22:14:23 +0100

On 14 June 2010 21:47, Alexander Kobel <address@hidden> wrote:

> On the other hand, I don't quite get why word-space = 1 is necessary. If
> there's no space left, the user has trouble anyway, and I don't see why an
> arbitrary minimum space should help.  And this should be the reason for the
> shift, IIUC.  Seems like an ugly hack to me, but probably there's some
> reason?

I don't know why that's there; the default is set in
ly/paper-defaults-init.ly to 0.6.

> Another question: What does "mol" stand for in the markup definitions, e.g.
> in general-align in define-markup-commands.scm?

It's short for "molecule", which used to be the standard name for
stencils in LilyPond.

> That's how far I could go.  I just can't get the regression tests, so I
> can't compare if it breaks desired output in other examples than mine.

Sorry, I meant the regression tests run fine (with `make check'); no
test snippets appear broken.

> It does, but it also reindents the existing code in a completely different
> manner than what's currently there.

Some of the indentation in \fill-line is incorrect (e.g., for the
definition of fill-space), so you're probably improving it. :)

> If we do, we should probably "normalize" all stacked stencils (read:
> right-column, too) in the same manner.  Which would make sense to me, since
> it's a consistent behaviour, but I suspect this to be incompatible with the
> current design.  And one might require to write \right-align \right-column
> to get the (current?) extent ((- width) . 0), which looks clumsy from the
> typical user's POV.

Hmm, I hadn't considered that, though I wonder if anybody uses \right-column.

Cheers,
Neil