Re: Optimizations for pure-height approximations. (issue1817045)

From: joeneeman
Subject: Re: Optimizations for pure-height approximations. (issue1817045)
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 20:16:56 +0000

Reviewers: lemzwerg, Neil Puttock,

Message:
On 2010/07/15 22:04:58, Neil Puttock wrote:
http://codereview.appspot.com/1817045/diff/1/2
File lily/axis-group-interface.cc (right):

http://codereview.appspot.com/1817045/diff/1/2#newcode125
lily/axis-group-interface.cc:125: pure_height_cache =
scm_c_make_hash_table
(1000);
This default size appears to be too big (at least for my poor
computer, which
imploded trying to run `make check': it swallowed all the memory (2
Gb) and
virtual memory shot up to 4 Gb before I put it out of its misery :)

I tried reducing it to 100, which incurred a slight performance
penalty due to
rehashing, but allowed the regtest checks to finish.

I can change it to 100, but it's still a bit worrying that a few measly
hash tables end up taking so much memory (there should only be one per
staff). Can you see a noticeable memory increase between git master and
the patch (once you reduce the hash-tables to size 100)?

Optimizations for pure-height approximations.

Since we end up querying the height of each VerticalAxisGroup
multiple times for each line, cache the intermediate results.

Please review this at http://codereview.appspot.com/1817045/show

Affected files:
  M lily/axis-group-interface.cc
  M lily/include/axis-group-interface.hh