Re: how to start a fork at repo.or.cz?

From: Patrick McCarty
Subject: Re: how to start a fork at repo.or.cz?
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 11:11:39 -0700

On 2010-09-12, Mark Polesky wrote:
> So, I'm trying to start a fork at
> http://repo.or.cz/w/lilypond/mpolesky.git, but I get:
>
> $ git push --dry-run
> address@hidden's password:
> [3 attempts here, then...]
> Permission denied (publickey,password).
>
> I have...
>
> 1. registered my public key at http://repo.or.cz/reguser.cgi

I remember having trouble registering my public key at this site
before, but I think the last time I registered one, it was fixed...

> 3. added these lines to .git/config:
>    [remote "mpolesky"]
>            url = ssh://repo.or.cz/srv/git/lilypond/mpolesky.git

For my "fork", I have

  url = git+ssh://repo.or.cz/srv/git/lilypond/patrick.git

so you might need the "git+" part.

>            fetch = +refs/heads/*:refs/remotes/mpolesky/*

I can't remember the details about this, because my fork is set to
"mirror" mode and I never pull or fetch from my repo.

FWIW, here are the lines from my .git/config :

  [remote "cz"]
          url = git+ssh://repo.or.cz/srv/git/lilypond/patrick.git
          mirror = true

Then when I want to back up my local branches, I just run

  $ git push cz

> 4. $ git checkout pictograms
>    $ git push --dry-run
>
> And that's where I get the above password request.  I'm
> assuming I'm missing something obvious, like doing an
> initial clone, which I've not done, because I don't know
> how!

I don't think you can clone a repo.or.cz repository until you've
actually pushed a branch.

Hope this helps,

-Patrick